The most popular stands were the McDonalds (and not for the food), Western Union, Nielsen and Silver Dollar Casino. What do they have in common you may ask. Well, they were the stands that where giving out freebies and us Chinese really love a freebie - especially the old women who will queue jump or push you over to get there first. In fact, I joined in the fun (hey, I am Chinese you know ;-)) and got a t-shirt, a bag, and some playing cards (after I had to prove that I was over 21 to participate in the Blackjack game - the playing cards were the consolation prize with an umbrella being the main prize if i got a blackjack).
There was also a stage where they had traditional dancing, music playing, drill team performances, a Chinese opera concert and kung fu demonstrations. I only saw a couple of the Korean music and dance performances but they were very good.
The funniest part of this festival was the Karaoke competition. Just like Pop Idol or American Idol, you get both the good and the really bad. I must give these people credit though as they were very brave to go up on stage and perform - (and no, I was never tempted to participate). I thought the judges were too kind though and the entertainment would have increased more if they were as cruel as Simon Cowell and be honest with their opinions and not give diplomatic comments. Of course, that was never going to happen as it is just for fun. Although I did not stay for most of it - I left several times to get more food, I did think the top 3 were very good and deserve it.
As some of you know that I really love architecture especially the temples and palaces of ancient China in Beijing. Seeing that there was a stand selling 3D wood build yourself models of the Temple of Heaven, I could not help buying one. Of course, it is still in its packaging and I have not started making it yet, but don't worry, I will take a photo of it when i have completed it. Knowing me though you will have to wait a very, very, very long time for it :-)
Oh, I watched Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix at the local IMAX with some friends last night. The only screening that we managed to get tickets for was the 10pm so it did not finish until 12:30am. As it was a working day the next day, I ended up looking like a zombie. Luckily I did not have any meetings so I worked from home instead. Hooray that my workplace allows that option otherwise it would not have been a pretty sight in the office. Regarding the film, it was entertaining but I did not think the 3D parts in the last battle scene (only available in the IMAX version) added much to it.
No comments:
Post a Comment