One thing I like about Seattle is that it is a multi-cultural city and all year round, it promotes this by having events and festivals for the different cultures at the Seattle Center. Today's one was the turn of the Korean Cultural Celebration Ch'uSok (Harvest Moon Festival). As I had a busy day today, I only stayed for several hours which included some time to get something to eat for lunch. My initial intention was to try some Korean food that they had there, but the queue for it was just too long (it must have been free :-)) so I ended up getting some seafood instead from the Steamers restaurant there - yeah, I know it is not very Korean, but it was good.
As well as there being stands and displays introducing Korea and its culture, throughout the day, there was a lot of performances ranging from dancing, singing, martial arts demonstrations, playing of music instruments and tea ceremony demonstrations. Some of the performances were very similar to the performances that I saw at the Seattle's Chinatown-International District Summer Festival but they were still enjoyable to watch nevertheless - I really liked the performances of the different types of drums the most.
One thing that I did notice was that the martial arts demonstrators where mostly performed by kids aged 12 or younger. They were actually quite impressive and most definitely I would not pick on any of them. Hmm, thinking about it, I think I can take them on if we had a fight but I would say that wouldn't I ;-)
Saturday, September 8, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment